Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day Eleven: Starting to get psyched about hitting home (well.. dad's home) Campbellford in a few days. Beautiful day Friday, wound up doing a massvie effort. The motel I was going to stay at had recently been destroyed by fire, so I was faced with the dilimena of doing another 30 km and trying to make it to Cornwall where for sure there'd be other motels. Brutally hot and humid (but better than rain) so I kept up a ferocious pace.

At one point came to (missing) bridge under construction, (there was NO BRIDGE) but it was ten km back to an alternate route (forget backtracking) so I picked up the bike and carried it through the mud, across straw bales and gravel piles to the other side. No one tried to stop me so I guess it was ok.

Getting through Montreal was brutal. Constant road blocks, detours, and construction with no signs on alternate routes. Had to navigate on the fly. Wound up making it to a seedy motel in Cornwall. Some kind of biker's (and I don't mean cyclists) party going on, but there was no other option.

208 kms-10 hrs 4 minutes-1,852 kms total

That means I'm meeting my goal of a century a day. Eleven days of 100 miles plus (160 kms)and of that 2 days were over 200 kms. Am on track for Kingston Saturday night, Campbellford Sunday night, and Toronto Monday night (TO is 175 km from Campbellford).

No comments:

Post a Comment