Friday, May 14, 2010

I've been getting a lot of questions, so for anyone who might be wondering here's a sampling...

Q: Are you crazy?
A: Probably... but I have a long history of doing daft things, so you can decide where this falls on the crazy scale.

Q: What will you eat while cycling?
A: Mostly energy bars, sport gels, and fruit, but it's not a race, so there's no reason I can't detour for lunch if I see a nice pub now and then... And, no road trip is complete without some McD's stops!

Q: How much does the bike weigh?
A: About 70 lbs fully loaded (tools, clothes, food, water, tent, and other gear). By comparison, it was around 22 lbs in racing configuration without all the baggage.

Q: Why are you going alone?
A: Do you know anyone crazy enough to go with me?

Q: Doesn't your butt get sore?
A: Bike saddles are like shoes... some you barely notice, and others can give you no end of grief. I don't usually have problems, but I'll be spending way more time in the saddle than ever before, so who knows what I'm in for... Usually, other anatomical parts are a bigger problem.

Q: What's the furthest you've ever ridden?
A: I once did a 24hr race where I racked up over 500km, and I sometimes did 200km rides when training for Ironmans, but I've never gone day after day like I'll be doing on this trip. This is new territory for me.

Q: Have you ever seen a good cycling movie?
A: "Breaking Away".

Q: Will you be shaving your legs?
A: Have you seen my legs? I shaved back in my Triathlon days and it cost me a small fortune in razor blades... so, no... not shaving!

Q: What happens if you can't finish?
A: Failure is not an option... I stole that line from the movie “Apollo 13” because I like the attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment