Sunday, May 9, 2010

Welcome everyone... to my Bike Canada blog.

After a year of planning, and tinkering with the bike, the start of my ride is just around the corner... only time for a little more training and some nervous anticipation. For now, here's a little background to set the stage. I fly out to St John's, Nfld on June 19th and my first day of pedaling will be June 22nd after a day to put the bike together, and a couple nights of good east coast music and partying on George Street. I'll need to consume enough beer to ensure I don't feel any pain for at least the first week of riding!

My ride will touch all 10 provinces, starting in Newfoundland, and finishing in Victoria, BC... ocean to ocean. I'll stay in Canada the whole way, which means riding some extra grueling sections, like north of the Great Lakes, the Prairies, and finally the Rocky mountains. The total distance will be 7200+ km, depending on detours for services, camping, or just to go exploring, and I'll be in the saddle 6-10 hours per day. Check out the video (complete with cheesy music) at the end of this post for a short overview of the route... or use the link in the left panel to watch a full screen version on YouTube.

The trip is a birthday present to myself (yes, I am a little twisted) and although I will probably celebrate on the road (in early August), I do expect to finish the ride not too long after, in mid-August. The only "ground" covered off the bike will be courtesy of 5 ferry rides, since my attempts at riding on water have thus far proven very unsatisfying. I'll be riding one of my old triathlon bikes, with converted gearing, cranks, and wheels... and racks added to handle all the baggage. The 2 pics here show the old me in Ironman racing days (no bags), and the new me in touring mode after a recent training ride (baggage galore).

Bicycling across Canada is nothing new. Lots of people have done it, for one reason or another. My reason is simple... just a personal challenge that I have been thinking about, on and off for over 30 years. I figure it was now or never, and a milestone birthday seemed a good excuse. Carmel insists I'm having a mid-life crisis, and I remind her I could have gone for a sports car and a coed (is it too late to change my mind?).

Anyway, since most people who do the trip, go west to east, and in groups or with support, I decided to set my trip apart by going the harder, east to west route (plus I have family out west so it made more sense). I created my own route, and I'm doing it solo and unsupported. Also, due to time commitments, I'll be trying to push the pace for a quicker than typical crossing. I may need more than one type of therapy at the end!

One final note for this intro... These blog updates will actually be a joint effort. Since I will only have a basic cell phone with me, updates will be limited to times when I can get online at internet cafes or public libraries. At other times, I'll phone or text Carmel and she'll post updates for me. This is good news for readers, since Carmel is a journalist by profession, and her posts should make better reading than mine... assuming she can master the blogging interface.

That's it for now... Stay tuned. Cheers.
Brian.

1 comment: