Monday, May 24, 2010


Hey folks... Carmel here... Brian's better (and way less crazy) half.

When Brian first mentioned this trip, I worried he'd want me to go with him. I was never more happy than when he said I could stay home in comfort and just help update this blog. I definitely choose blogging over the pain of riding 100 miles a day in the blazing sun or worse, pouring rain and wind, with mosquitoes, blackflies, and roadkill for company... who does that?

All that pain and suffering is right up Brian’s alley though... if it doesn’t hurt it’s not a worthy challenge in his books. Unlike some of us who are happy to sip Chardonnay and relax on the deck for the summer, he likes a project. However, it is kind of exciting to watch his once-in-a-lifetime trip become a reality.

My mother thinks it's crazy. She can’t understand why anyone would want to cycle across the country. Just driving it would be a chore. I worry he’ll be tired and lonely the whole time... but I'm not trying to talk him out of it, because I have my own project ideas... I'm looking forward to some home redecorating without Mr “I-like-the-house-the-way-it-is”getting in the way. Maybe I should really be worried about him riding too fast and cutting into my reno time!

As the start draws closer it’s a little nerve racking for both of us. Brian's dream trip is an adventure, and like the explorers of the past, he'll have nothing to rely on but his own strength and persistence, and who can’t admire that? That being said, I’ll be happily admiring it from the comfort of the sofa at home... and thinking about what colour to paint the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment