Sunday, July 11, 2010

C: B will stay north on Hwy 17 (TC) heading to Wawa, but it is 230 kms and might not be doable in a day. So unless there's a motel in Montreal River (are any of these tiny places actually towns?), he may finally be forced to camp out, (there's a provincial park that might do). The next 5 day stretch to Thunder Bay looks bleak as far as motels or even cell phone use is concerned. He might get lucky like I was once while reporting in Nfld, we paid a local $100 to crash in his basement. (We -being the cameraman Eddie and myself). As for food? There are garage station mini-marts, I guess we'll find out what else. He's down to 153 lbs and the concensus among friends is he's too thin already! PS he objects to my earlier post saying he used his "granny gear". Apparently he does NOT have a granny gear (and if he did he wouldn't use it! sorrrrry!!). His lowest gear is 34/27 (whatever that means). He's been on the bike a total of 150 hours. (and has lost his sense of humour. oops did I say that).

4 comments:

  1. I thought it is called a "grandfather" gear - lol. But seriously Carmel, a true cyclist's gears is his engine - no granny involved! :) Brian...EAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Italians say Brian...Mangé, Mangé...eat, eat. The middle is always the toughest...you've gone so far and there is so far to go...This is the mental part of the game...You know what to do...Keep the engine firing on all cylinders!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, we do not allow granny gears in real road cycling. The gears you mention are called "Compact Cranks" which is probably why he is so cranky. Keep it up Brian and may there always be one more gear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same gearing on my tri bike and they tell me that I should be able to ride up a pole with that! Yeah, right. Let me check if I know anyone in the Great White North between Wawa and Thunder Bay who can put you up!

    ReplyDelete