Saturday, July 3, 2010

B: A second update: After an ice cold chocolate milk (my new favorite drink), and time to refresh a little. Its hard to get going every morning and after a stop, the legs are fine (not sore) but everything drags for half an hour till warmed up. Now I know why Tour riders prefer to keep going.

The forecast predicted it would be windy but it had to be 30 km, the bike slowed down on downhills the minute I stopped pedalling. I was so close to lying down on the side of the road at one stage. Thank God for Tim Hortons (C: thats what Brenda & I say! We always include a Tim's stop in our training rides, we also eat popsicles and have coke breaks when its really hot and sometimes we do lie down on the side of the road for a break and eat gummy bears for a sugar hit!).

B: And because a lot of the day was a scenic route, Hwy 2 and parts of the Waterfront Trail, the wind over the water was worse. It's slightly longer but easier riding because there's less traffic.
I finally had to resort to using my ipod to keep going-182 songs later I arrive at the best motel so far. No one has questioned me taking my bike into my room either, and given the dismal state of it some days thats amazing. Whats funnier is they always ask if I have a car.

There was a positive side to the heat..for the first time I didn't have to spend 2 hours cleaning the bike. Just pumped up the tires as usual and POP the rear tire blows. In some sense, good timing if it had to happen and I'm packing 8 spares so I change it. The bad news, 4 of the 8 dont fit. The valve is too short. I change the tube and tire. I'll have to pick up more spares in TO. And get more suntan lotion. I'm hoping tomorrow is an easier day, I can already taste the ribs n' beer at dad & Margarets.

1 comment:

  1. Brian, Fantastic Blog to read. I am glad that you are inputting your true emotion of how hard and miserable some days have been and questioning what the hell you were thinking. It seems as though the weather was the hard part of the eastern provinces and the French/roads were the hard part of Quebec. Welcome to Ontario. I bet you will be so happy to have 2/7's of the trek complete. You should load some 'talking books' onto your ipod when you get home tomorrow.
    Keep it up, doing great!!! Leo

    ReplyDelete