Sunday, July 4, 2010

And the good luck ran out...


Day 13: Got a good start out of Kingston this morning... looking forward to seeing Carmel and my folks. Despite heat and ever present winds, the first hour flew by, and then the problems started. I haven't had a flat in months... not in all the training leading up to the trip or in the first 2 weeks, and then today I had 7!!! I hit a pothole and dinged up my rear rim pretty good with all the weight on the bike. The damage was significant enough that all I could do was fix the endless flats and limp my way into Belleville.

Since I have to wait until tomorrow to hit a bike store for some repairs, at least my bad luck had a silver lining... my parents and C were only a 1/2 hour up the road, so I called them for a pick up. No, it's not cheating. Once I get the wheel fixed, I'll resume my trek from the spot I stopped. A very frustrating day, but if it had to happen, at least it happened here, so I could enjoy a very welcome break with family. Next time it could be a much bigger, and lonelier pain!

The downside is that I won't make it to Toronto on Monday for the BBQ that Carmel had planned. No one is more sorry about that than me, but I'll be trying to get there on Tuesday... Anyone still interested in a BBQ on Tues?

96 kms - 5 hrs - 2,135 kms total - my shortest day so far... but not the easiest... a totally miserable, !#$#&%&##$&#%^*%#^*day. Tonight's dinner and company though goes a long way to making up for it!

3 comments:

  1. We'll save the BBQ for any time you get here! See you on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll drop by for a bit after work on Tuesday, Brian! Loved to see you again! Joanna has baby duty, so she won't be able to make it, but she sends her best wishes (via Ian MacQueen at the Fitness Institute this morning).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete