Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day Seven: B: In a funk in Edmunston N.B. Another day of rain. Beyond depressing. Stiff starting out, sore legs & butt, stretch a few minutes first. Started out avoiding traffic on a secondary road, but after kms of crappy pavement opted for TC again. At least it has a shoulder. The rain is worse than the riding. Drenched & dripping, even feet are swimming under rain booties. Stop under overpass to wipe off but no help, can't even eat. Thrilled to see a Tims (txs Brenda & Derek for the card), felt like a smuck leaving a huge puddle on the floor. An insane smuck (they probably thought).
Might need new brakes already, the downhill is shredding them. Because the rear is so heavy it is stable, but the front wheel is skiddish on wet pavement so have to ride the breaks every downhill. Can't relax-enjoy-or catch a break. Plus its freezing: wearing every article of clothing-jersey-arm warmers-jacket-rain jacket and full gloves. At least going uphill I can stay warm. As it is - going 20 km a day and loosing time on the downhill. Its depressing.
Cool to see a moose close up, even he looked drenched and pissed off. Every sign now in French. Finally a funky motel. Can barely fit bike in. Takes 2 hrs to clean & tighten every nut & bolt.
Psychologically good to have done a full week and be over a thousand kms, one-seventh of the total distance (7 thousand kms coast to coast).

173 kms-8 hrs 34 minutes-1,120 kms in 7 days

Its been the worse day so far, sick of the rain, (6 of 7 days). Like being in a wet diaper all day, shorts are soaked. Forecast rain again tommorrow. Am truly depressed.
I sort of regret starting this, it would bo so cool if I was riding from St. John's to Toronto instead.
...sometimes I hate the pure stupidity of me.

4 comments:

  1. Keep on trucking Brian! What you are doing is awesome. We at RPS (and now Canadian division) are counting on you finishing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the hell? If it was easy and relaxing you wouldn't be doing it. Don't let a little rain stop you.

    Jonathan (Carmel's union buddy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awful, and you know how much your old man HATES RAIN!!! Remember that Algonquin Park adventure? If it's worse than that - and it sounds like it is - you have my utmost sympathy. But ... I know you'll get through it. Looking forward to seeing a (hopefully dry) you in a few weeks.
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Half way through my bike ride to work this morning, I thought of you when my legs got tired on a hill, and not much of a hill at that. I wanted to stop and rest but I asked myself, "What would Brian do?"

    Also I have resolved to tighten bolts on my bike as I have never done that since I bought it two years ago. Perhaps this weekend over a six pack.

    You are an inspiration indeed.

    ReplyDelete